Get a free SCARS short story. Sign up for News & Goodies from YA Author Cheryl Rainfield
Love my books? Join my Street Team! You'll have my deep gratitude, hear book news first, get swag, and enter to win private contests
Reasons Not To Kill Yourself
If you're thinking of suicide, please talk to someone. Call a crisis line. Call someone who loves you. Get support. And
Please Do Not To Kill Yourself:
- Because you deserve to live, and to find happiness and joy and love and laughter. It may not seem like you can find those things right now, but they will come. You have had them once, and they will come again;
- Because things will get better, and when they do, you will want to be here to enjoy them;
- Because if you kill yourself it will deeply hurt the people who love you and care about you;
- Because there will never be another person like you, bringing your unique perspective into the world. It’s only by staying alive that you can have a voice, and help to make things better in the world–for you, and for others;
- Because if you kill yourself, you will let all the people who hurt you so horribly win. And they should not win. We need good people in this world;
- Because your pain will pass, and get lighter, and you will find beauty again in the things around you, and love, and laughter;
- Because you matter. Even if you think you don’t, you do. You touch other people. Your life has an impact. People care about you;
- Because if you kill yourself, you can never undo that act. It is final and forever. You can never again see love and compassion in the eyes of the people who love you, feel the touch of someone’s hand on yours, hug your dog or cat, listen to the rain on a roof, taste ice cream melting on your tongue. You can never have a chance to be happy again;
- Because death is not relief or release; it is an end. You don’t feel anything after you die. But you can feel relief and release if you stay alive, and find a way to release your pain safely. Find a way to take in the love of the people who care about you;
- Because even the deepest pain can lessen. Talk to someone you love. Write out your pain. Cry it out. Scream into a pillow. Break something. Do what you need to to get out your pain safely;
- Because you are not alone. There are so many people who have felt the way you feel, experienced the things you have experienced. Reach out. Talk to others. You are not alone;
Because the desire to kill yourself will pass, if you can just wait it out long enough. Distract yourself. Call a friend. Call a crisis line. Do something you enjoy, even if you think you won’t enjoy it;
- Because if you stick around, you will find one day that you are glad you did. You will find more good people who care about you. You will find your voice. You will do things that you love and that make you happy;
- Because I have been there, too. I know how bad it is. And I know it can get better. It did for me. It will for you. And I hope for good things for you. Please choose to live.
Please reach out to someone if you’re feeling suicidal. Don’t stay silent. Choose life and hope.
If you ever need support, don't forget you can call, text, chat, or email support and crisis lines. I recommend RAINN, especially for survivors of rape and abuse, The Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth, and these other great support lines here: CrisisTextLine and here: Do Something.
US and Canada: National Suicide Prevention LifeLine
24 Hour Crisis Hotline 1 (800) 273-TALK
1 (800) 273-8255
Please also read this:
Reasons Not To Kill Yourself
If You Are Thinking About Suicide, Please Read This First
By Cheryl Rainfield, award-winning author of STAINED, SCARS, and HUNTED.
If you like this article, you may post it on your website or use it in your print publication, as long as you provide a link back to my site (http://www.CherylRainfield.com), and credit me. I'd also really like to know where you put my article, but you don't have to let me know in order to use it.