Ever wonder if book trailers make a difference?

I have. Especially since I have a book trailer for my YA novel Scars. My thinking was that a book trailer can help make the book–the title or the author or both–familiar to potential readers. I didn’t know, though, if anyone would buy the book after seeing the trailer.

I was in a bookstore yesterday, and spent, ahem, a lot of money on books. And one of the books I bought–that I grabbed down from the shelf as soon as I saw the cover–was It’s a Book by Lane Smith. I instantly recognized the cover–from his book trailer! And I’d enjoyed the book trailer so much that I already had a good feeling about the book.

The same thing happened for me with Neil Gaiman’s Blueberry Girl. I loved the book trailer so much–it made me feel so good–I knew I had to buy the book.

So, I know that book trailers work on me. (grinning) That is–if I like the book, if it’s one I would have bought anyway, a book trailer works. If I don’t like the sound of a book, of course I won’t purchase it. But book trailers expose me to books I might not have seen otherwise.

I find and buy books a lot of other ways, too. I *love* browsing through a bookstore, going through all the books on a shelf, taking books down one by one, looking at the first page, and if it interests me, more, to discover new books I might love that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. I also learn about and buy books from reviews online, reading book excerpts online (or on my Kindle), author interviews, connections with other authors online, recommendations from friends, browsing online bookstores, searching for new books by authors I already know and love, and sometimes through ads online.

How do you find the books you buy? Have you ever bought one because of a book trailer?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Ever wonder if book trailers make a difference?

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cheryl Rainfield: ยป Ever wonder if book trailers make a difference? -- Topsy.com

2. --Deb says:

I’m laughing softly to myself because I can think of exactly ONE book trailer that I’ve ever seen that made me want to buy the book and … “It’s A Book” was it. So much so that, even though I don’t have children, I bought a copy just for me.

3. Julie says:

Cheryl – That’s so cool!

4. Bob Mayer says:

Smashwords commissioned a survey. They found less than 3% of customers purchased a book based on trailer. That’s still something, but one has to consider the P&L on that. It’s a different medium. Certainly it can’t hurt.

• Bob, that’s interesting. Who were the customers in the survey? I mean–teens, adults in their 30s, 50s–do you know? 3% is still something, as you said, and of course, cost and time matters. I’m thinking…that the percentage will probably increase over time, as more people turn to the net…. Do you agree?

5. laura says:

I will tell you with full certainty that book trailers are key in getting my students to read. Particularly with my reluctant readers. Any book I have ever showed a book trailer for, they have gobbled up! I think the hardest part of reading is starting a book and getting to know the characters and story. A trailer does that for them to an extent. They then are able to just pick up the book, start reading and understand from the start.

• Laura–I hadn’t thought of that! That makes sense to me; teens have so much more exposure to TV and movies and tech. And what a great way to get reluctant readers interested. Thank you for sharing that!

6. Amy says:

I have to say that I usually avoid book trailers at least until I’ve already read the book – unless I have no plans to read it anyway. I like being able to picture the characters and their voices how I want to!

7. That’s a really interesting point, too, Amy. I hadn’t thought of that. I feel that way about movies made from books. But book trailers feel different to me–like I can still make up my mind about the characters and see them the way I want to–maybe because trailers are so short.

8. Yolanda says:

I found a wonderful website that offers video production of book trails for a reasonable price. Very professional service and a high quality product! http://www.ivideoproductions.com Here is a sample of one that was done for the science fiction thriller Exoskeleton. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uu6zqx5ufY