I feel a connection to other readers

Photo by G. Maguyon @ Flickr

Photo by G. Maguyon @ Flickr

I often feel a connection to other readers, whenever I see them out in the world. We might have nothing in common except that we like to read–but that feels like enough.

I get a good feeling when I see someone reading–like when I’m in the subway and I see someone reading a book, completely engrossed. It doesn’t matter what the book is, I want to smile at them. (Though I want to smile the most when it’s a novel they’re reading.)

The other day, I saw a young man reading a book as he walked home. I used to do that all the time. Part of me wants to cheer–yes! Hurray for readers!

Do you ever experience that?

This entry was posted in love of reading, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I feel a connection to other readers

1. Jena says:

Yes! And then I find myself twisting my head/neck into odd positions to try to read the title…

2. I *still* read books while walking! But yes…I always try to figure out what people are reading…it says so much about them!

As an aside, I’m pretty sure that photo was taken in my subway station! F train? 7th Avenue?

3. Cheryl says:

Jena, I love that! It made me laugh. I can so understand the curiosity, though I don’t think I’m quite so brave in looking. 🙂

Sarah, how neat that you read while you walk! And yeah, you often can tell things about a person by what they read.

I often wonder what people think, seeing me reading with a pad of post-it notes in one hand, and post-its bursting off the book’s pages like a haircut.

I don’t know which station that photo was taken–but neat that you recognize it.

4. Janice says:

I LOVE seeing people reading, but I especially love to see adolescents reading; especially if it is a book I loved because then I think about the incredible experience awaiting them, and I’m happy for them!

5. annie says:

I fly a lot for business and there seems to be a high percentage of fliers who read. It’s always fun to see what people are reading. Of course, whatever they are reading becomes part of my made up story about them!

6. Cheryl says:

Janice, I love seeing teens reading, too. Since I read a lot of YA and children’s books, I like seeing if I know the book they’re reading. And yeah–if it’s a great book, it’s extra fun.

Annie, how neat that there are so many fliers who read! I love hearing that. I can see having fun with imagining stories about them based on their reading choices. Some could even evolve into short stories.

7. Jen Robinson says:

This definitely happens to me, Cheryl. Mostly at airports and on airplanes. I especially love it when I see kids reading out in public.

8. Cheryl says:

I love seeing kids reading in public, too, Jen. It feels so good!

Airports seem like a good place to watch that happen.