I am so thankful for books and reading

Photo by MorBCN @ Flickr

You know that Abba song, “Thank You For the Music”? With that joyful chorus:

“So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I’m singing
Thanks for all the joy they’re bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me.”

That’s how I feel about books–both reading them and writing them. I can’t imagine living without books. I am surrounded by books. I have more bookshelves than any other furniture in my apartment.

I am so grateful that I can read books, that I can find joy, comfort, exhilaration, and validation in their fictional worlds. And I’m so glad I can write them, too. I hope, someday, to give readers the same joy and satisfaction, and comfort and validation, that I get from reading.

Every time I find a new book that moves me deeply, or excites me, I feel so lucky.

Do you feel like that?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I am so thankful for books and reading

1. Madison says:

Yeah, I LOVE to read and write. Well, technically, the order is write and read! 🙂

2. Cheryl says:

That’s a good order, Madison.

3. Nancy says:

Yes, i totally agree with you. I love everything about books, the crisp pages of a new novel, the smell of an old favorite and the places (both emotionally and visually) that its pages can take me to.

My favorite place is anywhere that I can sit quietly with a good read and a cup of coffee. Ahhh!! sweet heavenly bliss

4. dew says:

Yes! I definitely feel that way. And I love your header!

5. The Ms. S says:

Yes! Books have always offered a place of wonder and magic for me. I love bookstores, librarys and Christmas packages that hint they might be a book!

6. Cheryl says:

Nancy, I love how you put that. That’s beautiful. I love the crisp pages of new books, too, and the smell of old and new books. Yes, bliss!

Dew, I’m glad you feel that way, too. It’s nice to hear. And thanks for letting me know you liked my header.

Ms S, I really relate to that–books being magic and wonder–and like gifts.

7. Abdul Rakeed says:

I love reading and writing.

8. Cheryl Rainfield says:

I’m glad you do, Abdul! I do, too. (smiling at you)