I just signed the contract for my first YA book!

I just signed the contract for my first YA book! Finally, finally signed it. So now I get to tell you more. 🙂

I’ve already written the manuscript and did one edit, and attended 3 meetings with the publisher and two other writers. I signed the contract on Sunday, got back my edited manuscript from the publisher (edited by him), which I now have to read over and edit where it needs it–and I got my advance. I also got to see some roughs from the illustrator. It’s real!

My book comes out in September of this year with HIP Books. It’s called Dragon Speaker: Brom’s Quest. It’s a hi-lo (high interest, low vocabulary) fantasy for reluctant readers (especially boys, but I think girls would like it, too. I do. 🙂 ). It’s about a boy whose talent is telepathy with birds (which is seen as bad) and who is put down because of his weak leg. He is the only one who can save the last male dragon from a wizard and a lord who want to rule the kingdom.

I think my author name will be appearing as C. A. Rainfield–I think it’s in the hopes that boys will be more likely to read the book if they assume a male wrote it. It also seems to be the thing often done by authors of fantasy, to have initials for their first two names.

Two other writers are writing the other books in the series–Debbie Ouellet is writing the second book, A Hero’s Worth, and Erin Thomas is writing the third and final book is the series, Draco’s Fire. I’ve read them both and enjoyed them. Charlie Hnatiuk is illustrating the covers for all three books, as well as the interior black-and-white illustrations (one per chapter). I love what I’ve seen so far.

It’s funny–I didn’t expect to write this book at all. The publisher made a call for submissions, and though I love fantasy, I didn’t think medieval fantasy was my thing (even though two of my favorite YA fantasy series are medieval). But two writer friends encouraged me to submit, so I did–and here I am, with my first YA book coming out in September! And two of my other manuscripts being considered by publishers (I’m hoping for good news). This after ten years or so of writing, editing, submitting manuscripts, and working hard. Hurray!

This week I’m working on editing the manuscript I got back from the publisher. I’ve just told a number of elists I’m on, and it’s been wonderful getting the congratulations and support from people who really understand how important this is to me, and the long trek it took to get there. Writer and book lover communities are so important!

This entry was posted in contracts, publishing process, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to I just signed the contract for my first YA book!

1. Wow, Cheryl! Congratulations! This is awesome news!!!

2. Cheryl says:

Thanks, Lisa. (grinning)

3. Annie says:

Cheryl, congrats on being a 10-year overnight success! I’m sure you are over the moon!

4. Cheryl says:

Thanks, Annie. 🙂 It’s a wonderful thing to have a contract, and to know the book is coming out!

5. Madison says:

Congrats!!!! Hope I get to do that one day (sign a contract with a publisher)! 😀

6. Cheryl says:

Madison, I’m sure you will. Just don’t give up. Keep writing, reading, editing–you’ll get there.

7. Oh, I’m so happy for you! Congrats! And good luck! 🙂

8. Susan says:

Oh, congrats, you must be on the moon with happiness 🙂

9. Cheryl says:

Thanks, GirlwiththeBraids and Susan. 🙂 It’s very exciting.

10. Marietta says:

This is such fabulous news! I know you will be celebrating this moemntous occassion for a long time to come! I’m so happy for you!

Thanks for sharing the news. And I love your website and blog! Beautiful and very well organized! I’ll look forward to following along as you share more!

Sincerely,
    Marietta

11. The Ms. S says:

Congratulations!!!

Very exciting news! Enjoy, and treat yourself to some lovely indulgence with your advance.

Yay is you!!

12. Thanks for letting us know. I can hear the excitement in your post… Congratulations. Now give yourself a few days to just bask in the feeling!

13. Cheryl says:

Thanks, Marietta. (grinning) I’m so glad you like my blog and site. And very glad to know you’ll follow along. That was lovely to hear. Thank you.

14. Cheryl says:

Ms S, thank you. 🙂 You all help me enjoy it that much more! It’s such a great feeling, after so many years of rejections.

15. Cheryl says:

Janice, I’m glad you could hear the excitement. It’s a nice bonus. 🙂 And it *is* a good idea to stay in that feeling as long as I can. Lots of work up ahead. But it feels good!

16. LaTonya says:

Congratulations Cheryl!
    I have just recently returned to Jacketflap. Glad I’m back in the loop. Looking forward to hearing more about your book’s success. Best, LaTonya

17. Cheryl says:

Glad you’re finding JacketFlap useful. Thanks for your comments; I appreciate it, LaTonya. 🙂

18. Congratulations! I hope it’s everything you dreamed it would be and that this is just the first of many.

19. Cheryl says:

Thank you, Lauren; I really appreciate that! I’m hoping it’ll be the first of many, as well. That’s the plan! 🙂 I’m doing another book for HIP Books next year, as well.