A title change for my first YA novel already :)

I started excitedly telling people about my new (and first) YA hi-lo novel to be published, Brom’s Quest, in the Dragon Speaker series, and I’d have people say “What? Brom?”. That made me realize that maybe Brom’s Quest wasn’t the best title. Especially for reluctant readers!

So I mentioned it to the publisher, and he agreed. And he just came up with a title I *love*. The Last Dragon. So I think that’s my new title!

I thought the title was firmed up, and here I am, only a week and a day from having signed my contract, and we’re changing the title! But it feels right to do, and I feel happy about it. I want the best title–the best *book*–that I can create. I want something that will grab readers, not turn them away.

So–what do you think of the new title? Does it grab you more than the old one?

This entry was posted in publishing process, titles, writing process, writing YA fiction and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A title change for my first YA novel already :)

1. Madison says:

When I saw “The Last Dragon” my first thought was “The Last Unicorn”. But that doesn’t mean a thing. It has dragons in it. I’ll read it! 😀

I’m hoping that if I’m ever fortunate enough to get published I will be able to keep the title that I’ve selected for that story. I get attached to my titles. But if it means a publishing deal, heck, I’d probably call it just about anything! 😀

2. Madison says:

Oh, yes, this title is better! 😉

3. Cheryl says:

I’m glad you think this title is better; thanks, Madison!

I’m glad you’ll read it; thank you! I love dragons, too.

I know some authors get attached to their titles. I think titles can change pretty frequently, though, once a book goes to the publisher. Especially if they have a marketing department. I think, as long as the title feels good or seems appealing, then it’s good.

4. Madison says:

Yeah, that’s why I try not to get too attached to anything, but I’m not always successful. But sometimes you have to give up one aspect of something you love to make the whole thing better! 🙂

Good luck with “The Last Dragon”! May it sell 10,000 copies! 😀

5. Jo says:

Absolutely. Much better!

6. Cheryl says:

Absolutely it’s hard not to get too attached to things in our writing. And if it’s something that’s really important to you, if you think it makes the book better, then I think it’s good to fight for it. It’s just also good to know when to compromise.

You’re right that sometimes you have to give up something to make the whole better. I guess it’s weighing things in your mind, and really paying attention to your gut and your writing instincts. And trying to be open to compromise, and to new suggestions that can make the book better.

Thank you for your good wishes; they made me grin!

7. Cheryl says:

Oh, good! Thank you, Jo. Phew! Two yeses so far. 🙂

I really love it, too. I’m so glad!

8. Cheryl says:

(I meant, Madison, that your good wishes felt good!)

9. Madison says:

I understood! My favorite thing to do is encourage my fellow writers. I have so many that encourage me, so I just try to spread it around as much as I can! 😀

10. Cheryl says:

That’s lovely, Madison! I love how so many of us support each other–it makes for a fantastic writing community, one that really nurtures. That cares!

11. Madison says:

That’s one thing that we writers can DEF be proud of! 😀

12. MotherReader says:

Definitely like the title better. Good choice.

13. Cheryl says:

Oh, thanks MotherReader! Phew! (three yeses.) 🙂

14. The Ms. S says:

My vote is for the new title. Good one!