Share a Story, Shape a Future
Stories encourage dreams, and reading helps kids dream, and achieve their dreams.
Share a Story – Shape a Future is a blog event for literacy. From March 9 to March 13, 2009, blogging librarians, teachers, parents, authors, illustrators, and people passionate about literacy will offer ideas on ways to promote reading and books. You won’t find statistics, academic analysis, or judgments that tell you why you should read. Instead, we are using the power of the Worldwide web to share ideas about ways to engage kids as readers.
Each day, bloggers will talk about different aspects of literacy and reading. Themes include raising readers, selecting suitable material, tips for reading aloud, using audiobooks, and how to use the library as an ally. The organizers have several giveaways planned, and will offer free, downloadable content.
Share a Story – Shape a Future is an opportunity to share ideas, encourage each other, and spread the word about children’s literacy. Share a Story- Shape a Future aims to build a community of readers. Please join us and share your story.
Check out the Share a Story – Shape a Future blog.
Here is the tour schedule:
Day 1: Raising Readers
hosted by Terry Doherty at Scrub-a-Dub-Tub, the Reading Tub blog
- Finding Time at Home – Tricia Stohr-Hunt @ The Miss Rumphius Effect
- Making Time in the Classroom – Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Helping a Reader in Need (remedial readers) – Sandra Stiles guest post on Scrub-a-Dub-Tub
- It’s Bigger than the Book: Building Strong Readers at any Age with a Daily Dose of Read Aloud – Cathy Miller interview on the Share a Story – Shape a Future blog
- Keeping Gifted Readers Engaged – Donalyn Miller @ The Book Whisperer
Day 2: Selecting Reading Material
hosted by Sarah Mulhern at The Reading Zone
- The ABCs of Reading: Infants, Toddlers & Preschoolers – Valerie Baartz on The Almost Librarian
- How to Help Emerging Readers – Anastasia Suen @ Easy to Read blog
- Helping Middle Grade Readers – Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Booklists and Read Alikes – Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Using Non-fiction – Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of Reading, hosted by the Stenhouse blog
Day 3: Reading Aloud – It’s Fun, It’s Easy
hosted by Susan Stephenson at the Book Chook blog
- Ten Terrific Tips from Read-aloud Queen, Mem Fox – on the Book Chook blog
- Conquering Stage Fright – Interview with Sarah Mulhern/The Reading Zone @ the Book Chook
- Reading Aloud With Kids: A Dad’s Perspective – hosted by Steven and Brian at Book Dads: Fathers that Read
- Using Technology for Read Alouds – Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- What to Do When the Reading is Done – Aimee Buckner, hosted by the Stenhouse blog
- Reading Aloud with Independent Readers – Donalyn Miller @ The Book Whisperer
Day 4: A Visit to the Library
hosted by Eva Mitnick at Eva’s Book Addiction blog
- From Cozy to Cool – Library Spaces for Everyone – Eva @ Eva’s Book Addiction
- Lions and Marble and Books, Oh My – Betsy Bird at A Fuse #8 Production
- How to Make the Library Work for YOU – an interview with Adrienne of What Adrienne Thinks About That conducted by Jules at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast
- The World Beyond the Library’s Walls – Melissa @ Librarian by Day
Day 5: Technology and Reading – What the Future Holds
is hosted by Elizabeth O. Dulemba at Dulemba.com
- Audiobooks with Bruce Coville of Full Cast Audio and Mary Burkey of Audiobooker
- E-books with Harold Underdown of The Purple Crayon and Sheila Ruth of Hornbook
- Podcasts with Andrea Ross of Just One More Book! and Cheryl Rainfield of cherylrainfield.com
- A resource of links to audiobooks, e-books, podcasts and webcasts @ Dulemba.com.
Through Share a Story – Shape a Future we hope to build a community of readers, by sharing ideas and encouraging each other. When the event opens on Monday, March 9, 2009, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to join us and share your ideas.
In the meantime, we’d love for you to start spreading the word.
Huge thank yous to Elizabeth O. Dulemba and Susan Stephenson for creating images we can use to promote Share a Story – Shape a Future!